Healthy teeth and gums are the foundation of a healthy mouth and a beautiful smile! That is why River Harmony Dental is pleased to offer professional cleanings and checks-ups to help you achieve optimal oral health. Routine maintenance, while extremely important, only focuses on areas of the teeth above the gum line (called scaling). A professional cleaning can clean your teeth above the gum line, but also below the gum line as well (called root planing). It is only through regular scaling AND root planing, that tarter, plaque and bacteria toxins can be removed from those hard-to-reach areas below the gum line that home maintenance cannot reach. Regular professional cleanings can keep your gums healthy from top to bottom!
Your Cochrane Choice for Dental Hygiene and Teeth Cleanings!
Regular Cleanings and Checkups help to Maintain Optimal Oral Health!
River Harmony Dental believes strongly in preventative care and its importance in helping to maintain healthy teeth and gums. It is easier to regularly take care of your oral health, than it is to treat any complications after they already arise! If you are brushing and flossing at home daily, you are already doing a great job keeping your teeth healthy. Regular professional cleanings and checkups will be able to clean teeth in areas that home care cannot reach, as well as identify any health issues only your dental professional can identify.
What Happens at a Dental Hygiene Appointment?
In addition to cleaning your teeth above the gum line, our dental team will perform many important health checks at your professional hygiene appointment, including:
- A complete periodontal assessment
- A complete check of your gum tissue, checking for any gum recession, the presence of gingivitis, and possible gum disease
- Polishing your teeth to remove any surface stains
- Fluoride treatment (if chosen) to help prevent cavities from developing, and to help strengthen the surface of enamel in areas that may be weak
- An oral cancer screening and exam at least once a year to check the head, neck, and jaw area for confirmation of health and any signs of oral cancer
- An intro-oral exam to check the gum tissues, tongue, and lips for confirmation of health.
- Digital x-rays (when required)
- Discussion of a treatment plan to be used to treat any existing conditions
How Often Should You Visit Us for an Oral Hygiene and Check Up Visit?
How often you visit a dentist for a hygiene and checkup visit depends on many factors; are your teeth susceptible to the accumulation of too much plaque and calculus? Do you have crowded teeth, fillings, or missing teeth? These such things can lead to an increase in plaque buildup and require more frequent visits.
The River Harmony Dental Team knows that every patient will require a different hygiene and checkup schedule. Most people come in for dental hygiene appointments every 6 months, although some people may benefit from coming in every 3 or 4 months, while others may be able to delay longer. Genetics, teeth positioning, grinding habits and home care are key factors. For patients experiencing items such as gum disease, heavy calculus buildup, heavy staining, loose teeth, etc. a higher frequency of cleanings removing bacteria around your teeth and in your gums, will help keep your teeth healthier. Our team will discuss with you how often you should have a dental cleaning and checkup based on your specific and individual needs.